And So It Begins....

Howdy there world...I'm using this blog to help inspire myself. My life is now ocassionally blessing me with moments of silence. With the rarity of this phenomenon, I've decided I need a kick in the keester to buck up and use this time wisely. I've longed for days filled with color and mess, where I could participate in the creation and not just the cleaning. So here it is...my challenge to myself is to use this time to create a new piece of art each week for the next six months. This blog will hopefully help keep me honest and on track. I will post each week my new piece and it's inspirations, giving one painting away a month to someone who sends me a comment. I hope you can enjoy these pieces as I enjoy the journey.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

True Inspiration (Sold) 11x14

This past Spring Break I had the opportunity to visit Moab and St. George, UT with my eternal boyfriend and our darling babies.  We took many hikes and made many climbs.  Those sweet hiking moments overload my brain with ideas for art.  Obviously.  Delicate Arch...inspiring.  Sand Dune Arch...inspiring.  Kayente...total art inspiring.  The problem often with those inspirations is that everyone is familiar with the inspiration.  Painting a scene from Delicate Arch is like a contestant on American Idol trying to redo "Kiss" by Prince.  You simply don't mess with perfection.  That poses some challenges.  The true inspiration that I found this past week was not in the beauty of my surroundings, but in the beauty of my life.  Nothing is more beautiful than watching my kids, a perfect creation from my husband and myself, laugh, smile, and love with each other.  Climbing big rocks with huge smiles of accomplishment on their shiny red faces oozing little drops of sweat, watching my tiniest chickie bob up and down as she runs the trails trying to keep up with her buddies, the way we smell as we all pile back into the car to head out for a well deserved lunch.  So the awe that inspired this, could be totally hokey piece, is not nature's beauty but the beauty of family.

2 comments:

  1. I love this rachel! The colors are profound! Loved your prince analogy! You are amazing! Xoxo your favorite ragdoll

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, your blog is beautiful, and I am not just referring to your art. You have a wonderful way with words also. You express yourself so well. It brought tears to my eyes the way you spoke of your family. Keep it up - you'll never need a therapist. Love, Brooke Hoffman ps I don't have a way of commenting, other than borrowing Erin's google account - she happens to be home today.

    ReplyDelete